Aztec 3

Saturday, February 7, 2015

One Year Later

It's officially been one year since I received my breast caner diagnosis on February 7, 2014. I can't believe what the past year held, but I'm also thankful for what it didn't. It didn't hold surgery complications, infections, radiation, chemo, a bald head, a suppressed immune system, or any of the other potential risks and side effects of cancer treatment. I'm thankful that a year later I'm moving on with my life. I still take a pill (Tamoxifen) everyday and the side effects aren't fun, but with the help of an SSRI (Celexa) and a healthy diet I'm now handling the side effects fairly well.

I've actually been working on a different post all week but I'm not quite finished, so I wanted to make this short post to remember this day. It's been busy. I spent several hours at my son's school helping his Destination Imagination team with a project. Then we had lunch as a family at Torchy's Tacos. I had a short nap (thanks, Tamoxifen), cleaned the house, and made preparations for my sister's baby shower that I'm hosting tomorrow. It was a completely normal day and I couldn't be more grateful! Today could have gone much differently, the way it's going for thousands of other young moms still battling this awful thing. I think about you. I'm wishing you the peace that I feel, the "no evidence of disease" label, and perfectly normal days. I know that this thing might come back one day and I'll be ready to fight it again. Until then, I'll cherish the happy busyness with our young family and continue on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment