Aztec 3

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Daily Life

Since my last post life has been better. The new medication has been helping with my depression, plus I've been working to follow through with plans I've made with my counselor and psychiatrist. Days are up and down -- some good, some bad, but more good than not. One thing that's been fun is that I've been going to yoga and Pilates with BHE (best husband ever). His work schedule is really weird right now so he often has random time off that affords him the opportunity to work out in the mornings after school drop-off. Having that accountability is crucial for me. My doctors are adamant that I exercise because of the proven benefits it holds for mental health. I can definitely tell a difference on the days that I don't exercise so I'm really trying to follow through.

Another thing I've realized lately is that I'm just plain bored. I'm a stay-at-home mom with both kids in school, and although I'm involved as room parent and on the PTA boards, I still find myself needing more. More than volunteer work. So, why don't I get a job you ask? Because, BHE's schedule is such that we would need a team of babysitters to manage if I worked. Not that other families don't manage life like that but it's just not where we are right now.

In my former life I was an adjunct professor of sociology. I think one day, perhaps even one day soon, I would like to go back to that. I love working with college students and academia is my happy place. I've been in love with sociology since my senior year of high school, and although I haven't been in the classroom for seven years I still love it and soak in whatever comes my way in the social sphere. It continues to be an important part of my life. Right now though I'm working on an essay about the inter-generational transmission of trauma. I have first-hand experience with this as the child of a Vietnam veteran. I'm also interested in looking at literature on the generational impact of parental cancer experiences on children. So, instead of being bored I may just start camping out in coffee shops to write. I think it would be beneficial to me and hopefully I could find someplace to publish what I come up with, like a patient-care or veteran-care publication.

That's life right now, trying to keep my mind busy so it doesn't wind up where it was a few months ago. I have an extraordinary life with extraordinary opportunities and I want to live a life that reflects that. It might always be a struggle for me but I pray that it's not. Especially having beaten cancer at such an early age, I should have a unique experience with gratefulness. Here's to living a grateful daily life.

3 comments:

  1. Great post!!! Maybe we can become writing buddies!! Also I live by a track. When BHE is out of town, would love to walk with ya!! Glad things are looking up-ish 😘
    ~Amy Hess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your transparency. I too am a child of a Vietnam Veteran, exposed to his severe PTSD and other mental/ physical health problems. Secondary trauma for sure! Seems we have even more in common than that. I just started working out again...weights and jogging. Accountability is key for sure! Hugs, Tara U.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Amy & Tara!

    ReplyDelete