Aztec 3

Friday, June 8, 2018

My Mental Illness

My life is amazing. I have an amazing husband, awesome kids, a safe, warm house, all the food we could want, plenty of money to pay the bills and have luxuries, and I struggle with mental illness. Every single day, I take these pills to keep me mentally and physically healthy. I'm sharing this because I'm not ashamed and you neither should you be. It's not something I think should be done in secret with stigma attached. It doesn't mean I'm weak or somehow lacking in character, perseverance, or strength. It means that the chemicals in my brain are out of balance. It means that it got so bad that I reached out for help. I was miserable but I'm not anymore. 

Here is what I take every single day: B12 (for mood and health), D3 (for mood and health), Tumeric (for inflamation), Abilify (anxiety/depression), Wellbutrin (depression), Klonopin (three times a day for anxiety), Lexapro (anxiety/depression), Tamoxifen (cancer drug), and Coumadin (for my clotting disorder). These drugs, along with weekly counseling, daily yoga and pilates, and my writing keep me where I need to be.
People use Facebook and blogs for all different sorts of things. I've always used both platforms to be nothing but honest. It's okay if you just like to look at people's lives. It's okay if you just want to share the good stuff. It's okay if you want to share everything, just memes, or whatever the heck you want. It's just Facebook. I'm choosing to use it to reach out. To maybe help someone who's struggling. To make it okay to say that I take meds and I'm not ashamed. This isn't bravery, or it shouldn't be labeled that anyway. It should be so accepted and non-stigmatized that it's normal for people to talk about their struggles, their counseling, their medications.
So there you have it. If you feel like joining me in fighting the stigma, comment with your med/counseling routine. What habits do you use to stay mentally healthy? Maybe it's just meditation, or prayer (a form of meditation), or exercise. Maybe you've never struggled with mental health. You're in the minority. Count yourself blessed. But for those of us who have, let's lend our understanding to others who need it. Let's look for those warning signs in our friends and acquaintances. Let's really mean it when we ask, "Are you okay?"

Suicide hotline: 1-800-273-8255 (you can also google it and reach an online chat)
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741

No comments:

Post a Comment